Thorn Valley provides the latest in regulatory updates, industry news and best practices to assure you have fresh safety information for your drivers on an ongoing, regular basis.
Thorn Valley wants your drivers to always stay safe – and that means 100% unimpaired driving. Remind them that December is National Impaired Driving Awareness Month. And remember that effective January 6, motor carriers will be able to satisfy the prior employment...
Did you know that December is National Impaired Driving Awareness Month? Thorn Valley is here to share the most up-to-date info to keep you safe and knowledgeable. Below are notes from FMCSA's Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse. Employers of CDL drivers are required to...
With the D&A Clearinghouse completing its 3rd year of existence on January 6th, 2023, the process for D&A background investigation and inquiry will change. At that point, the Clearinghouse pre-employment full inquiry (with driver consent) will satisfy the...
(Tom Flaten – 10/18/2022) With October 15th in the rearview mirror, commercial motor carriers can finally say goodbye to the FMCSA COVID-19 hours-of-service emergency declaration issued on April 8, 2020. The hours-of-service exemption had been extended multiple times,...
Thorn Valley keeps you in the know on Safer Driving! This month we highlight upcoming driving safety initiatives across the nation, current driver concerns, and FMCSA news & updates. In “Ask Thorn Valley” we discuss driver awards & recognition.New Safety...
Thorn Valley keeps you in the know on Safer Driving! This month highlights how to be safe in 2022, updates on the Online Safety Portal, regulatory updates, and more.Plan for Safety this YearDownload a copy of Thorn Valley’s free Safety Planning Calendar and plan for...
Last week's announcement from President Biden has sent the transportation world into a complete spin. Biden has charged Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) to develop the rule which is expected to impact more than 80 million unvaccinated workers in...
Root Cause – Jackknife The following Commercial Carrier Journal blog provides some excellent insight into root cause analysis in relation to tractor-trailer jackknife crashes. While this analysis does not necessarily apply to all jackknifes, it certainly does present...
Colonial Pipeline Incident Additional Measures Taken to Help States Affected by Pipeline The U.S. DOT announced Tuesday 5/12/2021 additional help for States in areas affected by the cyberattack on the Colonial Pipeline. The White House and DOT have determined that...
Based on feedback we have received from drivers, employers, and service agents, FMCSA continues to make improvements to the registration process. Recently, the site was enhanced as follows. (Read More > https://clearinghouse.fmcsa.dot.gov/ Enhancements include: A...
Company Safety Policies
Use the resources on this page to lay out your company’s safety plan. Set quarterly goals for your fleet, establish a monthly safety training schedule, document performance and measure results.
- Annual Safety Planner
- Cell Phone Policy
- Company Safety Manual (Towing)
- Company Safety Manual
- Dishonesty, Workplace Violence and Egregious Unsafe Behavior Policy
- Driver Hiring and Retention
- Driver Trainee Program Criteria
- Harassment & Firearms Policy
- Personal Use of Vehicle
- Probation/Termination Policy
- Small Fleet Safety Outline
Inspection, Repair & Maintenance
Driver Files Forms & Fitness
- Drive Roster and Expiring Documents
- Driver Qualification File Checklist
- Driver Application
- Safety Clearance (Contractor)
- Driver Road Test
- Driver Road Test (Small Fleet)
- Exempt Log Form (Weekly Timesheet)
- Verification of Previous Employment
- Driver Training Record
- Certificate of Violations and Annual Review
- Safety Meeting Report
- Medical Examiner’s Certificate
- Medical Examination Report
- FMCSA Driver Resources
- Driver PSP Authorization and Release Form
HOS, Driver Logs, Fatigue Management
Controlled Substances & Alcohol
Accident Administration and Crash Countermeasure Forms
Tips for Reducing CSA SMS/BASIC Scores
Government Regulatory & Enforcement
- CSA – Compliance Safety Accountability
- DataQs Website
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
- National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners
- SAFER Company Snapshot
- SMS – Safety Measurement System
- PSP Pre-employment Screening Program
- Code of Federal Regulations
- Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA)
- DOT (US Department of Transportation)
- Regulations.gov (FMCSA Notices, NPRM)
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- National Transportation Library (RITA)
- National Transportation Safety Board
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Federal Bridge Law
- Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
- Hazardous Material Regulations
- International Registration Plan, Inc.
- International Fuel Tax Association
- Driver Shortage / Driver Retention (ATRI)
Get in Touch
10050 Innovation Dr, Suite 340
Miamisburg, OH 45342