Thorn Valley provides the latest in regulatory updates, industry news and best practices to assure you have fresh safety information for your drivers on an ongoing, regular basis.
Keep up with the latest news affecting the motor carrier industry - and maintain profitability through safety! Trucker Pay Increasing as Driver Shortage Grows, Industry Capacity Tightens (Transport Topics 10/7/2020) "I've seen a number of companies over the last...
Updates include: FMCSA extends truckers' licensing and med cert waivers to year's end; Hours of Service changes (starting Sept. 29); Guidance on revised federal drug testing custody and control form. CCCJ Daily Dispatch, Sept. 22: FMCSA extends truckers'...
Fleets that use forward-facing cameras to record critical event footage are not seeing much resistance from drivers. Inward-facing cameras, on the other hand, continue to raise privacy concerns despite the potential to mitigate two of the riskiest driver behaviors:...
During this pandemic, not only has there been an increase in speeding, but there was also an increase in the use of handheld devices while driving. Although there was a sharp decline in accident rates in March - about 20-30% lower compared to last year - there was a...
Question #1: “I need your advice please. Currently our company has 133 CDL drivers between 11 locations and we plan to add more soon. At what point would a company need a full time DOT Coordinator in your opinion?” Answer #1 from Tom Flaten – VP Field...
Truckers Against Trafficking DriverReach provides regular live chats on contemporaneous industry issues. We’d like to share Jeremy Reymer’s post from 8/13/2020 focusing on Truckers Against Trafficking. Modern human trafficking in America isn’t something that comes up...
FMCSA further extends the COVID-19, this time through September 14, 2020. Not only that, transporters of basic food commodities have been re-added back to the list, underscoring the government’s concern that the pandemic is far from “over” at this point. EXTENSION...
How does one navigate through the ever-increasing future uncertainty in the world today – let alone try to survive in the US as a Transportation & Logistics business? It’s always been easy enough to lose margin, and extremely challenging to keep one’s head above...
Our Safer Diving Series offers 17 online courses focused on both small and larger (regulated) fleets. Clients pay a single annual fee for unlimited access to all drivers in their fleet. If you are interested in the Thorn Valley Safety Portal, please fill out the form...
Ask Thorn Valley #1 (Tom Flaten - VP Field Operations) Question: What do you think of this firm that is developing technology that allows trucks to platoon; and if you would have safety issues with a fleet that planned on implementing their AI product? Below is a link...
Company Safety Policies
Use the resources on this page to lay out your company’s safety plan. Set quarterly goals for your fleet, establish a monthly safety training schedule, document performance and measure results.
- Annual Safety Planner
- Cell Phone Policy
- Company Safety Manual (Towing)
- Company Safety Manual
- Dishonesty, Workplace Violence and Egregious Unsafe Behavior Policy
- Driver Hiring and Retention
- Driver Trainee Program Criteria
- Harassment & Firearms Policy
- Personal Use of Vehicle
- Probation/Termination Policy
- Small Fleet Safety Outline
Inspection, Repair & Maintenance
Driver Files Forms & Fitness
- Drive Roster and Expiring Documents
- Driver Qualification File Checklist
- Driver Application
- Safety Clearance (Contractor)
- Driver Road Test
- Driver Road Test (Small Fleet)
- Exempt Log Form (Weekly Timesheet)
- Verification of Previous Employment
- Driver Training Record
- Certificate of Violations and Annual Review
- Safety Meeting Report
- Medical Examiner’s Certificate
- Medical Examination Report
- FMCSA Driver Resources
- Driver PSP Authorization and Release Form
HOS, Driver Logs, Fatigue Management
Controlled Substances & Alcohol
Accident Administration and Crash Countermeasure Forms
Tips for Reducing CSA SMS/BASIC Scores
Government Regulatory & Enforcement
- CSA – Compliance Safety Accountability
- DataQs Website
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
- National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners
- SAFER Company Snapshot
- SMS – Safety Measurement System
- PSP Pre-employment Screening Program
- Code of Federal Regulations
- Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA)
- DOT (US Department of Transportation)
- Regulations.gov (FMCSA Notices, NPRM)
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- National Transportation Library (RITA)
- National Transportation Safety Board
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Federal Bridge Law
- Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
- Hazardous Material Regulations
- International Registration Plan, Inc.
- International Fuel Tax Association
- Driver Shortage / Driver Retention (ATRI)
Get in Touch
8075 Washington Village Drive
Dayton, OH 45458