Thorn Valley provides the latest in regulatory updates, industry news and best practices to assure you have fresh safety information for your drivers on an ongoing, regular basis.
The NHTSA states that 2019 had an overall decrease in the percentage change for the number of deaths in the nation compared to 2018. ATRI Board approves 2020 top research priorities. Lastly, here’s how a tanker fleet uses “unorthodox trailer lighting” to fight...
Find out the latest news for long-haul truck drivers about COVID-19, and catch-up on Lynx data showing significant impact due to the pandemic! Additionally, OSHA is increasing in-person inspections at all types of workplaces. What Long-Haul Truck Drivers Need to Know...
FMCSA announces the new Crash Preventability Determination Program and gives guidance on leveraging technology to conduct compliance reviews during COVID-19 Health Emergency. USDOT modernizes Hours of Service Rules to improve safety and increase flexibility for...
To the drivers and many other essential employees helping to keep the supply chains open, thank you! You are true heros! Please keep these tips in mind as you continue to serve: Sanitize the interior of your truck frequently. Wear gloves when pumping fuel Keep your...
LEARN MORE AT: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/COVID-19. FMCSA realizes that long haul drivers may be on the road for days or weeks at a time. The CDC has issued guidance that, when drivers return to their domicile location, they should follow the recommendations of the...
The Expanded Emergency Declaration under 390.23 (3/18/2020) exempts motor carriers and drivers who are providing direct assistance in support of relief efforts from FMCSR 390 – 399. This applies to essential services (such as medical care) or essential supplies (such...
How has COVID-19 affected the transportation industry? To start off with, on April 6th, 2020, The American Trucking Association (ATA) announced the cancellation of the National Truck Driving Championships, originally scheduled to be held in Indianapolis, IN August...
Commentary from Tom Nitza regarding the CVSA D&A Clearinghouse ruling. Thanks to Tom and best wishes during his retirement from Thorn Valley. From Tom Nitza: During a roadside inspection the Clearinghouse database will be queried. A driver found to be operating...
States with Strictest Texting-While-Driving Laws Ranked Did you guess correctly? TWD stands for Texting While Driving. Congratulations - Please share this information with all drivers! | Learn More CVSA Reminds Motor Carriers of the Dec. 17, 2019, ELD Compliance...
Rise in Truck Crashes, Large Payouts, Expected to Boost Insurance Renewal Rates This Year 1/2/2020 - According to Commercial Carrier Journal, truckers are being warned to Beware and Prepare. Tractor-trailer insurance rates saw an uptick this year, brought on by a rise...
Company Safety Policies
Use the resources on this page to lay out your company’s safety plan. Set quarterly goals for your fleet, establish a monthly safety training schedule, document performance and measure results.
- 2020 Safety Calendar
- Cell Phone Policy
- Company Safety Manual (Towing)
- Company Safety Manual
- Dishonesty, Workplace Violence and Egregious Unsafe Behavior Policy
- Driver Hiring and Retention
- Driver Trainee Program Criteria
- Harassment & Firearms Policy
- Personal Use of Vehicle
- Probation/Termination Policy
- Small Fleet Safety Outline
Inspection, Repair & Maintenance
Driver Files Forms & Fitness
- Drive Roster and Expiring Documents
- Driver Qualification File Checklist
- Driver Application
- Safety Clearance (Contractor)
- Driver Road Test
- Driver Road Test (Small Fleet)
- Exempt Log Form (Weekly Timesheet)
- Verification of Previous Employment
- Driver Training Record
- Certificate of Violations and Annual Review
- Safety Meeting Report
- Medical Examiner’s Certificate
- Medical Examination Report
- FMCSA Driver Resources
- Driver PSP Authorization and Release Form
HOS, Driver Logs, Fatigue Management
Controlled Substances & Alcohol
Accident Administration and Crash Countermeasure Forms
Tips for Reducing CSA SMS/BASIC Scores
Government Regulatory & Enforcement
- CSA – Compliance Safety Accountability
- DataQs Website
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
- National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners
- SAFER Company Snapshot
- SMS – Safety Measurement System
- PSP Pre-employment Screening Program
- Code of Federal Regulations
- Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA)
- DOT (US Department of Transportation)
- Regulations.gov (FMCSA Notices, NPRM)
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- National Transportation Library (RITA)
- National Transportation Safety Board
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Federal Bridge Law
- Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
- Hazardous Material Regulations
- International Registration Plan, Inc.
- International Fuel Tax Association
Get in Touch
8075 Washington Village Drive
Dayton, OH 45458